For millions of years mankind lived just like animals .Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination We learned to talk . Why won't you talk to me. You never talk to me.What are you thinking.What are you feeling Why won't you talk to me. Where do we go from here. It doesn't have to be like this All we need to do is make sure we keep talking . Keep Talking

Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Antwerp Cut !

26th June , Antwerp

Wow- finally here in Belgium – the birthplace of Herge, the creator of Tintin. Have grown up on the adventures of Tintin and I can boast that I have all the adventures which I have been collecting from my 5th standard, securely stored in a trunk in Coimbatore.

Okay coming back to Belgium , here on work so not much time to see around , but still quite fascinated by the beauty and the sheer simplicity of Belgium compared to other European countries.

Just back from a fabulous dinner with colleagues , a Bengali and a Belgian! Quite a combo , must say ;)

Some interesting trivia which I wasn’t aware of , for one the origin of the staple French Fries . Belgians claim that the French fries is originally Belgian ! They had a custom to have small fried fish with their meals and when the lakes froze they didn’t have a choice and cut up potato into thin slices and fried it to accompany their meals. And the story goes like when British / American soldiers arrived in Belgium during World War 1 they tasted it and at that point the official language of the Belgian army was French! . So one thing led to another and thus the grand invention of the ‘French’ Fries.


Whatever the truth , Belgians are supposedly the largest per capita consumers of potato.

So now you know it .


Another thing which my wonderful colleague revealed was that there are – note this – there exists pure vegetarian restaurants in Belgium. Not only in Belgium in most of the European countries ! Although they are a rare breed but they do exist!

This was a complete news to me , and I need to really see one . would take a picture and frame it .

So now you know this also.

Fine enough for now , gotta catch up on my sleep , long day tomo .
Looking forward to the evening as I have to go to Amsterdam where I am catching up with a few of engineering college mates.

That is something which has gotten me really excited. Should be good fun.

Catch you later .

Cheers from the city which is the largest trader of diamonds in the world and guess what, the Belgian Diamond trade is controlled by Indians!

Have given some snapshots from the country of Lace, Chocolates and Beer . Hope you like it .
Gdansk and Good night.



No comments: